Sunday, September 13, 2009

OH NO! Snot!

Carly has a cold!!! Her nose is running and she keeps sneezing! She doesn't have a fever. She keeps wrinkling up her face and snorting to get her air passages clear..(as snot flies through the air...) She's actually in a great mood. She's cooing away and cracking herself up. I believe I can bring her to day care as long as she doesn't have a fever. I hope this goes away quickly. What do you do for babies when they have colds? I'll have to do some google research and call her pediatrician tomorrow. Dr. H told Tina and I to get the swine flu vaccination a month ago. He recommended Carly getting the vaccine when she is 6 months old. I better get on that! Tomorrow at lunch I need to drop off my car at the body shop and get a rental. It's a major pain with the carseat and everything, so I wanted to do it by myself while Carly is at day care.
By the way, the juice has been doing wonders. I wonder how long I should keep giving it to her. She seems to really enjoy it! Seems like a good thing to give a baby with a cold.

2 comments:

K J and the kids said...

I'm sorry. Get used to her being sick...especially in daycare. The more kids. The more germs.
My 5 keep me busy and they aren't in daycare :) ha ha

As for the snot. Blue bulb suction and saline. Don't be afraid of it. You have to be agressive (don't hurt her) but just because she's screaming at you doesn't mean she's hurt...she just doesn't love it.
This technique is to be used when she can't sleep, thus causing you not to sleep. or when she's just so damn miserable from not being able to breath through her nose.

Spray ample amount (a good squirt...you'll think you are drowning her...you aren't)of saline (it helps break the mucus up) Get a few kleenex's ready. Plug one side of her nose and hold her head with one hand suction with the other. Do this a couple of times. switch to the other nostrile. If you need to do more or if you feel like she's still not breathing ok or you are still pulling gobs out...add more saline and repeat.

I would suggest the nosefrida. We have one and it worked way better than the bulb. but you have to suck it out. with your mouth. Now there are plenty of filters to stop any snot from getting into your mouth. but the idea freaks me out. I made J do it to our babies. GROSS ! But. it did work wonders.

Good luck.

Oh. and if there is no fever. and even if there is a fever. (under 103) the doctor will just check her over and say....Tylenol every 4-6 hours and suction her. TRUST ME. I KNOW ! ;-)
If it makes you feel better, take her in for your own peace of mind. She is your first and I certainly know how much a sick baby with a fever can pull at your heartstrings.

ko said...

KJ I always appreciate your advice. Thank you so much. :)