Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween!









I haven't had a chance to blog because Tina and I have been busy in the evenings working on Tina's new website. All week I've had mild spotting, but this morning at 4am I woke up and ran to the bathroom and sat on the toilet while blood drained out of me. NICE. Sorry for the graphic details. Yesterday we had an ultrasound with my mom's friend. She has an awesome 4D ultrasound machine and we got terrific pictures. It was so cool to see that the baby has five fingers on each hand and a straight spine and no hair lip and was moving around like a happy baby. She said the baby was measuring 5 inches which was actually an inch longer than babycenter said the baby should be measuring at at 15 weeks. I realize I am much taller than the average person, but our donor was only 5'9. :) She thinks its a girl too which would be SO GREAT!

I'm wiped out from this busy week. We had to get all our pieces in for the art show and matt and label everything. There's also been a lot of tension with all the YES on 8 people who are mad at the school district for opposing 8. Our openly gay teacher who is the advisor for the GAY STRAIGHT ALLIANCE received harassing email by parents who are for Yes on 8. Then he sent out an email to warn other teachers to forward those emails onto the district and that it is inappropriate for parents to use our school email for political reasons. My ROP boss who is totally for 8 replied to his email and forwarded to the entire staff saying that our school encourages parents to communicate with the school through email and they have the right of FREEDOM OF SPEECH. It wasn't good. This proposition seems to be allowing people to become more anti-gay. Its really tough. He brought it up again in the staff meeting and he was so courageous and so well spoken. I introduced myself to him afterward. I told him about tina and I and how happy we were to be able to get married this summer and how we are 15 weeks pregnant. I also told him that I would love to be involved with the Gay Straight Alliance. He told me how desperately students need gay role models. I know that if I had a a role model like me when I was in high school my life could have been a lot easier. I told him my dilemma with my super conservative boss and how I'm considered a temporary status employee. It would be very easy for them not to hire me next year if they didn't like me for any reason. He assured me that the district has our backs. He also told me that my boss's daughter had to take one of his classes and my boss told him she was concerned to let her daughter take his class because he was openly gay. How on earth can people honestly think that if you are in the presence of a gay person, it will make you gay? If they can't make us STRAIGHT, then how can we make them gay?

No comments: